Hey remember toffee apples? And fairy floss? I believe these foods are grossly overlooked by adults and I will not stand for it. Go get some apples (heck, if you're a self respecting adult you probably have some in your fruit bowl right now), make some toffee and say hello to your inner child for me. Here's how:
- Apples (no surprises here)
- 200g Sugar
- 100ml Water
- 30g Butter
- A splash of Vanilla Essence
1. Skewer your apples with some sticks, chopsticks, dried twigs etc.
2. In a saucepan over high-ish heat combine sugar and water and stir until sugar has dissolved.
3. Turn down the heat to medium and add butter and vanilla. Stop stirring for the next 7-10 minutes while the mixture boils away but keep a very close eye on your saucepan. I may or may not have ended up with smoke and black toffee the first time by walking away.
4. When your toffee reaches a nice caramel colour take off the heat, let it cool for a minute and then working quickly, dip each apple in the toffee and let cool on some baking paper until set.
Oh and don't think fairy floss is getting forgotten here. I'm working on it, you just watch this space.